home      about    subscribe   contact

Sunday, July 3, 2011

Happy (belated) Canada day!

I know that this post is a few days late, but blogspot has been eating my posts and it's really frustrating. Here's hoping it works this time around!

Happy Canada Day to my fellow Canadians, and happy 4th of July to all you American folk. I hope you're having a great long weekend!

I had to work on Canada Day and, while I would have preferred spending the day wandering around downtown or relaxing at the legislative grounds, it was still a lovely day. We barbecued burgers for supper and I made a very special dessert.

Canada Day strawberry shortcake

I've wanted to make a Canadian flag strawberry shortcake since I saw it in a cooking magazine as a child and I'm so glad I finally did!

Canadian cake

I followed this recipe from the Food Network's website, but made a few changes. Most notably, I used Greek yogurt with honey instead of sour cream and a half cup of margarine instead of the butter/margarine mixture. It was delicious, but the cake seemed a bit dense, especially for a shortcake. The density of a cake is the trickiest part, in my opinion, and although it wasn't perfect i was very happy with how it turned out. My parents enjoyed it too!

ingredients

The recipe actually called for baking powder, not baking soda, and thankfully I realised that before it was too late. Whew!

After dessert we headed to the high level bridge to watch the fireworks. They were incredible!

fireworks

What a perfect way to top off a lovely day. I hope you're all having a wonderful weekend yourselves!

4 comments:

  1. The cake looks awesome! My mom makes a similar one sometimes for our 4th of July and it's always so good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I lived in Edinburgh for the summer of 2008, I made a cake for Canada Day that looked just like this one! My office mates all loved it, and were asking if it was a traditional Canadian dessert... I had to admit no, but now I can say yes, since someone else across the country is making it! Awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That cake looks adorable. I love the idea of using greek yogurt as a substitute. I have been in love with that stuff lately.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Humm your cake look so yummy ! strawberrys <3

    http://hapiness-love-music.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

KEEP ON BROWSING!

FlickrTwitterTumblrFormspringLookbook