home      about    subscribe   contact

Monday, January 23, 2012

Oatmeal Cookies

I really love baking - and I especially love eating baked goods - so I've been trying to do it more often. I didn't bake at all last semester because I didn't have the supplies. Baking pans and dishes, flours, sugar, spices...where do you start? It wasn't until I moved out that I realized how convenient a stocked pantry is. I've been slowly collecting pans and dishes, and when I got groceries I decided to shell out and get all the baking supplies I need. The first thing I want to make were these delicious oatmeal cookies we used to make at home. I'm not a fan of most oatmeal cookies but these ones are just delicious! Thankfully my sister convinced our parents to scan the recipe and send it our way.



Here's the recipe, from the More-with-Less Cookbook:

Bake at 350 for 10-12 minutes

Cream together:
1/2 cup margarine
1 cup sugar
3 eggs

Beat well. Sift together:
1 1/2 cup flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. allspice

Add to creamed mixture alternately with:
1/2 cup milk

Stir in:
2 cups rolled oats


This is where you stir in any "add ins" you might want. The recipe calls for chopped dates, coconut, and walnuts, but growing up my mom always made it with raisins. I, of course, add chocolate chips. (Fair warning: I added a whole bag of chocolate chips, which overpowered the subtle cinnamon flavour. Next time I'll add no more than 1 cup).



The recipe is said to make 6 dozen, but I found that is only make 4 dozen. (Only should be in scare-quotes, 4 dozen is more than enough!) This would change with the size you make your cookies, but I'm pretty happy with the size these ones are.

These cookies are great anytime, but I especially love them for breakfast. (What? Chocolate's a breakfast food!)

Do you have a favourite oatmeal cookies recipe?

2 comments:

  1. I love oatmeal cookies of all kinds, but I have to say, oatmeal raisin are my absolute favorite of all types of cookies!
    ♡ Brooke

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yumm. Love the new blog look by the way!

    ReplyDelete

KEEP ON BROWSING!

FlickrTwitterTumblrFormspringLookbook